Accelerated Reader (AR) Program
Northeast participates in Accelerated Reader, a nationally recognized reading enrichment program that is based on years of solid scientific research. Students in grades 1-5 may participate in the AR program.
Accelerated Reader is designed to do the following:
- Get students excited about reading and vocabulary
- Provide reliable, objective information.
- Help every student master standards.
- Improve students’ attitudes for learning.
- Keep all students challenged.
How it works:
Students read a book that has a corresponding AR quiz.
Students take a computerized quiz on the book’s contents at school. If they correctly answer at least 60% of the questions on a 5 or 10 question quiz (or 70% on a 20 question quiz), they earn AR points. These points may be used to purchase special items available at our “Accelerated Reader Store!” The children love this part because they can go shopping for special gifts at our AR Store, without spending any money; they just spend their points.The AR Store occurs two times per year.
Students who score points get recognition by having their names placed on the “Accelerated Reader Wall of Honor” located near the school library.
Northeast uses the Enterprise edition of Accelerated Reader. The Enterprise edition is web-based and has several advantages. Some of the key advantages are:
- AR Enterprise allows parents to monitor their child's quiz activity over the Internet using a feature called Renaissance Home Connect. The information is real-time and is available in English and in Spanish.
- AR Enterprise provides students with immediate access to all 150,000 quizzes that are currently available and all new quizzes that are created.
With Renaissance Home Connect, parents can use the Internet to see all the quizzes their child has taken and a summary of his/her quiz results; opt to receive automatic email notification when their child takes a quiz; and access an online tool called AR Bookfinder to search for books that have an associated AR quiz based on criteria such as author, subject, or reading level.
Click on the link below for Renaissance Home Connect to see your child's Accelerated Reader record. You can log in with your student's username and password.
Please click here for "A Parent's Guide to Renaissance Home Connect"
Please click here for "Guia Padres sobre Renaissance Home Connect"
Please click here for AR Bookfinder
Please click here for Renaissance Home Connect
Page Updated: Sep 16, 2013