6th Grade Math Placement
February 28, 2018
Dear Parents and Caregivers of Grade 5 Students:
Montclair Public Schools continues its long-standing commitment to providing differentiated instruction to all students. Students moving into 6th grade have an opportunity to be placed into an Accelerated Math/Algebra course at ALL three of our middle schools; Glenfield, Buzz Aldrin and Renaissance. Students who do not place into Algebra A Accelerated in 6th grade will take Math 6 and be enrolled in Algebra A or Algebra A Accelerated in 7th grade.
Process for Placement into Grade 6 Algebra A Accelerated
The criteria is designed to identify very high achieving and highly motivated mathematics students, in order to give them the opportunity to participate in Algebra A Accelerated beginning in the 6th grade.
All 5th graders will take a 6th grade Algebra focus standards-aligned assessment in June. The eligibility process involves a point system with students receiving points in the following four areas:
- High score on district’s placement assessment – Administered between May 29- June 5, 2018
- Mathematics Content Domains covered on the assessment include:
- Operating with signed numbers, fractions, decimals and percents
- Ratio and proportional reasoning
- Reasoning and modeling with area and volume
- Simplifying and evaluating expressions
- High score on end of year 5th grade assessment
- High report card grades in mathematics
- Teacher Recommendation Form- Teacher recommendation is based on qualifying traits needed to be successful in Algebra A.
- Areas of review include:
- Strong fluency in operating with fractions
- High effort/determination/completes all assignments
- Ability to work independently
- Clearly communicates mathematical thinking
- Uses time effectively to produce quality classwork & homework
Students in the Accelerated Algebra A/B courses are expected to maintain 87% or higher average grade to remain in the course. To prepare for the district assessment, students can go to www.khanacademy.org and review Math 6 content standards, including but not limited to working with signed numbers, ratio and proportional reasoning, area, volume, and simplifying and evaluating expressions.