Director: K-12 English Language Arts (ELA) and Social Studies
- Must hold acceptable NJ Administrative Certification and/or Principal Certification.
- Secondary Certification and five years secondary teaching experience required.
- Five years administrative experience preferred.
- Must possess strong communication, managerial, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective principles of teaching and learning in all levels of school programs.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a diverse school community.
- Demonstrated aptitude or competence for assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective public education programs, particularly magnet programs.
- Ability to follow directions and work as a productive component of a highly functioning administrative team.
- Required criminal background check and proof of US citizenship or legal alien status.
- Ability to work on site during the hours required.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
Assistant Superintendent for Equity, Curriculum and Instruction
Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the assigned ELA and Social Studies K-12 programs and curricula, and providing effective leadership in planning implementing, articulating and evaluating the effectiveness of those assigned programs; successfully aligning them to district objectives and state and federal mandates.
- Work with principals and teachers to implement, monitor and improve upon the curricula/programs assigned.
- Organize the creation and implementation of curricula.
- Revise procedures and documents as required by changes in state, federal or district mandates.
- Assist with the preparation and administration of the assigned accounts in the school budget.
- Identify priorities for program improvement based upon the analysis of data and performance indicators.
- Oversee and/or assist with the preparation of drafts for Board policies and administrative rules pertaining to the areas assigned.
- Oversee and/or assist with the selection and use of assessment instruments which align to assigned programs and/or are required by the state
- Provide support for ELA/Social Studies teachers and curricula teams.
- Use data to strategically plan for the continuous improvement of the District’s K-12 ELA/Social Studies programs.
- Ensure all grade levels have the resources and learning supports necessary to fully support the District ad schools’ strategic plan for improving student achievement.
- Maintain a positive liaison with professional , civic, volunteer and other community agencies and groups having an interest in the schools.
- Assist in the recruiting, screening, hiring, training, assigning, evaluation, and removal when needed of staff assigned within the district.
- Keep supervisors and school community informed of program requirements, events and activities
- Attend Board meetings and prepare such reports for the Board as the Assistant Superintendent for Equity, Curriculum and Instruction may require.
- Evaluate the performance of assigned personnel in accordance with law, code and Board policy.
- Enforce all Board policies, administrative directions and state laws/regulations.
- Assume other unspecified duties as assigned or as related.
12 month, salary and benefits as determined by the Board.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the Board's policy on evaluation of certified staff.
Created: June 2016/BOE approved: 7.25.16
Revised: August 2017
The Montclair Public School District encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category.