Board of Education Offices
22 Valley Road
Montclair, NJ 07042
Early Intervention 3- and 4-Year-Olds
SCHOOL TOURS for 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
In person evening tours as well as virtual tours are offered. This new format and combination is meant to provide options for all.
Preparing for a Tour:
- Registration is NOT required.
Please watch the virtual tours and the 25-minute video presentation, “Our Schools, Our Town,” by visiting the PTA website at http://montclairpta.org for an overview of Montclair’s successful magnet school system and its history. This video can also can be seen at the Montclair Public Library during its hours of operation.
- Orientation packets, which contain information about each of the schools, including magnet themes, start and ending times, and programmatic highlights will be available online shortly.
UPDATE: Rescheduled evening tours cancelled due to the snowstorms are as follows:
Nishuane: Mon., March 26, 6:00–7:00 pm and 7:15–8:15 p.m.
Charles H. Bullock: Tues., March 27, 6:00–7:00 pm and 7:15–8:15 p.m.
|Mon., March 5||Tue., March 6||Wed., March 7||Thurs., March 8|
|Tues., March 13||Wed., March 14||Thurs., March 15||Fri., March 16|
|Mon., March 19||Tue., March 20||Wed., March 21||Thu., March 22|
- If schools are closed due to inclement weather, evening tours will be cancelled.
- Questions about registration dates or procedures? Call the Montclair Board of Education Registrar at 973-509-4017.
|February 1||Online registration for new students opens|
|April 1||School Placement Request Forms available in Parent Access for students who are currently attending Montclair Public Schools.|
|May 1||Deadline for submission of School Placement Request Forms in Parent Access.|
|May 15||Notification of School Placement Requests for students currently attending the Montclair Public Schools|
|June 1||Registration deadline for June 21 placement
|June 21||Notification to parents regarding new students entering Grades K-8 school placements.|
FEEDER SCHOOL SYSTEM
- Bradford, Northeast, and Watchung Elementary Schools “feed” into Buzz Aldrin Middle
- Edgemont and Nishuane (K-2) to Hillside (3-5) Elementary Schools “feed” into Glenfield Middle
- The Charles H. Bullock Elementary School “feeds” into Renaissance Middle School at Rand.
For students already in the district:
- If you would like your child to attend the middle school “feeder school” of his/her elementary school, you DO NOT need to submit anything.
- School Placement Request Forms will open in Parent Access on April 1st.
- School Placement Requests do not guarantee placement.
- School Placement Request is based on a “random assignment, computerized program system” in accordance with the District’s School Placement Request Policy (P-5122), and space availability.
For new students entering the district:
- Registration Applications need to be completed on our website, according to the instructions below.
- You must have all of the required documentation when you register.
For current school year (2017-18) and 2018-19
Online Registration Instructions
Detailed instructions for filling out the electronic documents can be found below. Please read them carefully before starting the online registration process. It is important you include all family contact information, at least two emergency contacts other than a parent, and your child’s doctor, dentist, and hospital if you have one.
Access the instructions for online registration.
Do NOT use this portal if your child already attends Montclair Public Schools, or for 9th Grade re-registration.
If you do not have access to a computer at home you may use a computer at the Montclair Public Library. Your application will be date- and time-stamped, and you can also have a confirmation of your registration emailed to you. There is no need to call the Registrar’s Office after registering online; the information goes directly to the staff. Once received, they will contact you to set up an appointment. If you do not have access to a computer, please call the Registrar at 973-509-4017.
NOTE: If you do not have your proofs of residency or immunization records, described below, you will NOT be allowed to register.
Access the online registration portal.
REQUIREMENTS AND DOCUMENTATION
Proof of Age
- An original birth certificate with a raised seal or passport must be presented at the time of registration in order to register your child.
- A child registering for the Kindergarten program must be at least five years old by October 1.
Parent/Guardian Proof of Identity (verification you are the person listed on the student’s identification paperwork AND the residency documents submitted)
- Photo driver’s license
- State or Municipal ID
- Non-Driver ID
- Work ID
- Any other photo ID with your name
Current immunization and physical examination records are required when registering your child for school. See the required medical documents.
Proof of Residence: All persons coming to register children must bring four proofs of residency. Verification of a child's residency requires the presentation of:
- One of the following documents with a Montclair address (Group A):
- Homeowner — Montclair property tax bill.
- Tenant — Current lease; if residing as a tenant without a lease, a signed, notarized sworn statement of tenancy (affidavit) completed by the landlord.
- Child is domiciled with Montclair resident other than parent — Affidavit Form A executed by Montclair resident and Affidavit Form B executed by parent or guardian.
- Child and parent living with Montclair resident — signed, notarized sworn Statement of Residency (Affidavit) completed by the Montclair resident and parent or guardian.
- Child placed in Montclair by court — court order placing child in home of Montclair resident.
- Child placed in Montclair by Child Welfare Agency — document of child welfare agency ordering that child be placed in home of Montclair resident.
- In addition, any three of the following documents containing a Montclair address (Group B)*:
- Driver's license plus registration, plus auto insurance card;
- Current utility bill;
- Current cable television bill;
- Current credit card bill;
- Written statement from realtor stating parent/guardian has signed a contract to purchase or rent in Montclair;
- Mortgage statement;
- Official mail (bank statement, government correspondence: Internal Revenue, Division of Taxation, Social Security Administration);
- Public assistance documents A.F.D.C. (Aid For Dependent Children) and W.I.C. (Women, Infants and Children);
- Income tax return;
- Voter registration card/records;
- Unemployment benefit verification;
- Recent paycheck/stub;
- Documents to support Affidavit Forms A and B. Affidavits A and B are not available online but can be picked up at the Board Office.
*McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act of 2001. If you lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, please notify the Registrar.
Students transferring from schools outside Montclair must provide:
- a copy of their most recent report card
- most recent standardized test results
- for high school students only, unofficial transcripts
- for children receiving special educational services, a copy of the most recent documents (e.g. IEP [Individual Education Plan], 504 Plan, ELL/ESL)
- Letter from the Superintendent concerning the security of documents required for the registration process
- Clarification of registration process
- Board Policy 5122: School Placement Request
- Information about our magnet system and virtual tours of our schools.