Friday Message including Facilities Update (10/5/18)
Please accept this update to the work underway in our school district.
From our Official School District Partners
Montclair Public Library — The Little Read
Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence (MFEE) — You Got This.
Montclair Public Schools will co-sponsor this event with MFEE and Montclair Community Council for Young Children (MCCYC). Please see the information in English and Spanish.
Parent/Guardian LGBTQA+ Literacy Night
On October 29, 2018, Montclair Public Schools will host an LGBTQA+ Literacy Night. In an effort to build awareness of language, parents/guardians are invited to learn more about this topic. The presenter will be Dr. Tyree Oredein, Safe Schools Coordinator, at Garden State Equality.
- Date: October 29, 2018
- Time: 7:00 – 8:30 PM
- Location: Hillside School (Auditorium)
- Why: To grow and learn appropriate language to manage conversations as or if needed with children and/or adults
Montclair High School Facilities Update
Per our Board Meeting on October 5, 2018, please note:
A. See back-up documentation from the Board Meeting update.
On 9/17/18, an MPS team member shared at the Board Meeting that there was no undisturbed asbestos in stair tower #11 (the Park Street stairs). At the time of the 9/17/18 Board Meeting, the two samples collected and analyzed revealed no asbestos-containing materials. Please see the first report in the document.
- What does undisturbed asbestos mean? Undisturbed asbestos is a term used to describe asbestos containing material that has not been altered. Asbestos is harmful only when it has been disturbed, meaning the asbestos containing materials have been altered in a way causing dust or fibers to be released into the air resulting in individuals inhaling or digesting them. In the stair towers under repair, all asbestos is undisturbed. The 3rd and 4th reports available in the document reveal that the air samples in stair tower #11 (the Park Street stairs) and stair tower #8 (the Midland Street stairs) have no asbestos particles in the air.
Our students’, staff and visitors’ safety is our number one priority.
- The repair was proceeding as planned. When we arrived to a point in the repair requiring removal of the old staircase frame, we elected to exercise another layer of protection and engage in an in-depth sampling of all four stair towers slated to be repaired. On or about 9/27/18, we, MPS leadership, received notification from our environmentalist consultant that the samples were positive for asbestos. At that point, a directive was given to immediately stop the repair. A more defined plan in light of this new information is now needed.
- I reached out to the County Superintendent to ask for options so that we still have our requisite number of student days.
B. Our temporary classrooms are slated to be delivered October 24, 2018. Upon their arrival, we will use MPS facilities staff to move furniture from the school to the temporary classrooms. Also, we will need to install ADA ramps. The MHS Administration will determine which staff will be assigned to the temporary classrooms.
Montclair High School Fall Event Update
It is my goal to hold the Montclair High School Fall Event in October 2018. I have not finalized the details. I will release the date as soon as all details are finalized. Please note this will not be an opportunity to discuss your child’s academic progress. For this, please reach out to individual teachers. Instead, this will be an opportunity for parents/guardians to:
- Personally observe the modified learning environments.
- Discuss content programming.
- Seek clarity regarding after school activities.
- Receive essential information relating to guidance support.
Have a great weekend!
With excellence, equity, social justice and access,
Dr. Kendra Johnson, Superintendent
Montclair Public Schools