Genesis for Parents
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE YOUR PARENT ACCESS PASSWORD WITH YOUR CHILDREN.
STUDENTS SHOULD NOT USE THE PARENT ACCESS SITE:
PLEASE GO TO THE STUDENT ACCESS SITE INSTEAD.
What is Parent Access?
Parent Access is a component of Genesis — our student information system. It allows us to provide you with a safe and secure way to view academic information about your children in one portal via the Internet. Depending on your child’s grade level you will have access to some or all of the following information:
- Your child’s schedule, and daily attendance record
- Your child’s class attendance (grades 6 – 12)
- Your child’s discipline information
- Your child's marking period, mid-term exam, final exam and final grades
- Your child’s report cards (Grades K – 12)
- Your child's teacher's gradebook grades (Grades 6 – 12)
- Your child’s IEP or 504 if they have one
- Your child’s bus information if they take the bus
- Student fine information
- Electronically sign forms such as permission to use Google Apps
- Your contact information, which you have the ability to change and delete
- Email addresses
- Phone numbers - Work and Home
- Cell phone numbers including the carrier (such as Verizon)
- Emergency contacts in case we can't reach you in an emergency
- Doctors, dentists, and hospital information
- Numbers and email addresses to be notified on by SchoolMessenger our Emergency Alert System
How do students access their accounts?
- All students in grades 6 - 12 have their own access accounts. Because of this there is no need to let them use your account or give them your password.
- Student accounts do NOT have the ability to see contact information or sign forms electronically, but they can see everything else the parent account can see.
- Your Genesis student login ID is the same as your google account. Firstinitial firstname.lastname@example.org. The number represents the year of graduation. For example email@example.com.
How do I maintain my contact information with the district in Parent Access?
- All contact information for parents, emergency contacts, and your children's doctor is maintained through Parent Access.
- The district is phasing out emergency cards in the 2016-2017 school year. Emergency cards will no longer be sent home each September to be filled out. Parents will keep all information up to date in Parent Access.
- All information for the Emergency Alert System - SchoolMessenger will be extracted from the Parent Access Portal.
- Go to the full management instructions for the computer or full management instructions for the phone.
How can I be notified anytime a document, form, letter, or grade is posted in Parent Access for my child?
- Parents can receive emails or text messages automatically for the following actions:
- A new form has been posted for you (Messages)
- A new document has been posted for you (Messages)
- A grade has been updated in a teacher’s gradebook (Gradebook grades)
- A letter has been generated for one of your children (Letters)
- A discipline Incident has been entered (Discipline Incidents)
- In order to get a text message you must have your cell phone number entered on the contact page along with your cell phone provider
- To set up alerts from within your Parent Access account:
- Click on the Home tab in Parent Access
- Click Message alert setup
- Choose which alerts you wish to receive along with the phone number or email address to receive them on
- It is recommended you also have your letters alert on in case anything is sent to you regarding your children
- Click Save Alert Preferences
- NOTE: This is not the same as receiving alerts for school closings from SchoolMessenger.
How do I register for Parent Access?
Parents are set up for Parent Access when they register their child for school the first time. If you do not think you have a Parent Access account, or want to set up a second account for your spouse, send an email from an email address we have on file that you wish to register with to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Your name
- Your child or children's first and last name
- A phone number we have on file to call you back in case we have a question
Please note: In order to ensure that your child's information remains secure, we will verify the identity of anyone requesting a Parent Access user account for your child. Therefore, we will only respond to requests by contacting you at a phone number or email address that is already listed in your child's student record.
How do I use Parent Access?
You can learn to use Parent Access by reading through the manual provided by Genesis. This manual is online.
I forgot my password, now what?
If you forget your password please use the "Forgot My Password" link on the Parent Access login screen. If you continue to have issues signing in please e-mail email@example.com along with your name, child’s name, and school.
If your account has been locked out resetting your password will not unlock your account. Forward the message you received that your account is locked to firstname.lastname@example.org.