MPS Home ➤ Schools ➤ Hillside ➤ Procedures ➤
The following methods allow Hillside administrators and staff to communicate effectively with families and provide information about classroom and school events!
- Genesis-Parent Access – Parent Access is a component of Genesis — our student information system. It allows us to provide you with a safe and secure way to view academic information about your children in one portal via the Internet. ALL parents and guardians must maintain up to date profile information. Please visit our district website to explore further. (http://www.montclair.k12.nj.us/district/technology/genesis-for-parents/)
- Course Pages - Course Pages are simple web pages created by teachers that allow the teacher to post information for the class. Posts can include text written by the teacher, weekly assignments, web hot links and uploaded documents on the course web page.
- 3rd Grade/New Student Orientation Part I – The parents and guardians of 3rd Graders and students who are new to Hillside are invited to attend this fall evening event. We are excited to present “Hillside 101” to give families a snapshot of their child's third grade (first year) experience. This informational session will focus on the school day schedule, cycle 1 aesthetic schedule, arrival and dismissal procedures, Creative “I” Process, and a whole host of procedural pointers.
- 3rd Grade Orientation Part II – The parents and guardians of 3rd Graders are invited to attend this November evening event. This informational session will focus on personalized scheduling for cycle 2 and 3, aesthetic offerings, Creative I procedures, and pre-requisites for desired related arts programming for 4th & 5th grade years.
- Hillside Weekly News—You will receive an email every Tuesday of the week, which contains information regarding upcoming student activities and school/district events. A PTA Liaison helps with drafting this communication and then it will be E-Blasted from the Main Office.
- Hillside Happenings – This monthly Principal’s Newsletter is a reflective communication on the month’s activities, which offers a brief commentary and pictures on activities that should be highlighted.
- Hillside Website—School related and district information can be located on our site, which is updated regularly. Please visit http://www.montclair.k12.nj.us/schools/hillside/
- Email “Blasts”—We are a “Go Green” school, so please check your email for the updates from the school.
- Formal Teacher Conferences—Your child’s teacher will ask you to sign-up for formal conference dates during the annual Back-to-School Night. There are both afternoon and evening conference times available to you—the dates are listed on our master calendar.
- Informal Teacher Conferences—The faculty at Hillside is committed to working with you to help your child succeed. Please call or send a note with your child to discuss any questions or concerns. Please do not “pop‐in” to chat with your child’s teacher. They are anxious to help you, but are busy working with children and will reach out to you as soon as they are free.
- Automated Attendance Messages—You will receive an automated call from the district system when your child is late and/or absent. These calls are made regardless of notes from home explaining the tardiness or the absence.
- Meeting with the Principal or Assistant Principal—Parents should always speak with the classroom teacher first since he or she knows your child best. However, if you have a concern or suggestion that needs the attention of the principal or assistant principal, please send a note, email, or call the office. Appointments can be made through the school secretary—please be specific about the appointment request so that the principal or assistant principal can be best prepared to address your concerns.