MHS has a rich tradition of providing over 90 awards to students in the categories of achievement, scholarship, service, athletics and other special leadership areas designed to recognize the talents and skills of Montclair students. We encourage students to discuss with your guidance counselor information on the selection criteria and timelines.
- You are eligible for a Service Award if you have performed a service to the school and/or community.
- Service for which you are paid, receive a course grade, or are awarded a varsity letter is not given recognition with a Service Award.
- Fill out the Self Nomination Form, available from the Main Office, Guidance Center, and each Team office, indicating the activities that you are involved in and time you have contributed. To be considered, you must submit a form.
- First Year Service Pin: 10 hours of service
- Second Year Bronze Pin: 20 hours of service
- Third Year Silver Pin: 30 hours of service
- Fourth Year Gold Pin: 40 hours of service
- Submit these forms to the advisor/director of the organization where the service was performed for documentation and submission to the school Awards Committee. Forms should be returned to the Main Office.
- The Awards Committee will process the nominating forms and will decide based on the nature of your service work.
- The Awards are given at the June awards ceremony.
Examples of activities that may qualify for a Service Award
- Outstanding club members/officers
- Team Office helpers
- Lab Assistants
- Key Club
- Hospitality Club
- Habitat for Humanity Club
- Music Dept. – Marching Band, Pep Band, Choir activities
- Blood Drives
- Tutoring above and beyond the requirement for NHS membership
- Community service under the direction of a MHS Organization/Club
- MHS website contributions — content, design, development, operation
- Girl Scout/Eagle Scout projects
- Community service — e.g., food banks, homeless shelters, childcare services, religious affiliates, etc.
Note: service hours completed as a requirement for a class and/or small learning community are not eligible for submission for a service award.