MHS has a rich tradition of providing over 90 awards to students in the categories of achievement, scholarship, service, athletics and other special leadership areas designed to recognize the talents and skills of Montclair students. We encourage each of you to discuss with your guidance counselor information on the selection criteria and timelines.
- You are eligible for a Service Award if you have performed a service to the school and/or community.
- Service for which you are paid, receive a course grade, or are awarded a varsity letter is not given recognition with a Service Award.
- During the month of February, fill out the Self Nomination Form (available soon) distributed in homeroom and available from each Team office, indicating the activities that you are involved in and time you have contributed. To be considered, you must submit a form.
- Then submit these forms to the moderator/director of the organization where the service was performed, for documentation and submission to the school Awards Committee.
- The Awards Committee will process the nominating forms and will decide based on the nature of your service work.
- The Awards are given at the June awards assembly.
Examples of activities that may qualify for a Service Award
- Outstanding club members/officers
- Team Office helpers
- Lab Assistants
- Hospitality Club
- AIDS Awareness/AIDS Peer Facilitators
- Conflict Mediators
- Habitat for Humanity Club
- Team Peer Leadership
- Music Dept. – Jazz Band and Jazz Choir – Chamber Ensemble
- Science League
- Blood Bank
- Tutoring above and beyond the requirement for NHS membership
- Community work under the direction of a MHS Organization/Club
- MHS website contributions — content, design, development, operation
- Community service — e.g., food banks, homeless shelters, childcare services, religious affiliates, etc.