What can the Arts do for you?
- The Arts can help you develop your physical and cognitive skills, and give you a unique series of challenges and connections.
- The Arts encourage you to use your imagination, explore your personal growth, and participate in cooperative experiences.
- The Arts encourage you to perceive your world in a new way and make our school environment a place of exciting discovery.
- The Arts help you to practice your critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Your vibrancy, individuality, freedom, and well … insecurity and nervousness – all add to the excitement of high school. So whether you act, sing, play instruments, dance, draw, sculpt, paint, or shoot photos, you’ll enjoy expressing yourself at Montclair High School.
We want you to experience the arts. But not just any arts. Arts that set your soul on fire. And there are many ways this happens at MHS.
The Arts as Part of the Curriculum
Our School of Visual and Performing Arts offers courses to all MHS students. Your talents will be stretched in an environment that fosters high levels of individual commitment and responsibility. This is one of the things that led to our being named a Model School in the Arts by the State of New Jersey in 2009. You can take courses in art, theater, music, and dance. But that’s not all …
Co-Curricular Arts Activities
The School of Visual and Performing Arts is also home to many artistic activities that feed into the normal curriculum. This includes exhibitions, concerts, recitals, and productions. The productions our students get involved in throughout the year include:
- musical theater showcases
- dance programs
- student recitals
- vocal and instrumental music concerts
The arts are part of the fabric that makes Montclair High School. But it’s you who make the arts come alive. And it’s how you express your soul that will make your experience last.