Grades 9, 10, 11, 12
5 Credits – Year
This half-year and full-year designed for students who desire to participate in large choral ensemble. Students will be responsible for all Mixed Chorus activities. It is targeted specifically to those students with little or no musical training who simply choose to sing recreationally as well as those students that need to sharpen their vocal and theoretical skills in an effort to prepare them for greater musical exploits. Emphasis will be placed on the fundamentals of tone quality, intonation, diction, breath control and proper vocal production.
Participation in scheduled performances is mandatory.
Supplementary Instructional Materials: Students will be exposed to a wide variety of music from various periods. Further individualized training will require other supplementary materials.
Proficiencies: At the completion of this course all students will able to:
- Demonstrate their knowledge of singing techniques such as phrasing, terminology, rhythm, dynamics and style.
- Demonstrate their knowledge of singing techniques such as tone quality, phrasing, terminology, rhythm, dynamics and style.
- Demonstrate knowledge and performance of good rehearsal techniques daily.
- Perform excerpts from the music, which is being studied.
- Participate in all performance.
Course Requirements: Student will be expected to:
- Maintain a high level of participation
- Attend class regularly and punctually
- Follow rules of the chorus as outlined by the choral director.
- Accomplish successfully all graded work.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude, and contribute to the learning environment of the chorus.
- Have a basic knowledge of their voice.
- Attend all rehearsals and performances.
- Use all music materials carefully and return as requested by the choral director.
- Read, record and follow all announcements as they are posted in the choral room.
Evaluation Procedures: Marking period grades will be determined by:
- Class Singing 30%
- Presentations 11%
- Test and Quizzes 59%