College and Career Planning
Further information regarding College and Career Planning can be found here:
Junior meetings are to begin at the start of January with your Guidance Counselor. You should have received a letter in the mail with a date and time. If you did not receive a letter, please contact your Guidance Counselor to make an appointment date/time. Click here for a Junior Conference Information Packet for what is to be discussed in this meeting.
Guidance Resource Center (GRC) Drop In Days!
- The Guidance Resource Center (GRC) located in the back of our Media Center (2nd Floor Main Building),will be staffed with Guidance Counselors during all 3 lunch periods on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to provide seniors with general college application assistance, no appointment necessary!
- Finalizing and/or developing your college list
- Technical assistance
- Common App, FERPA, and Naviance
- General Questions/Concerns
The College Application Process
Instead of the orange card system used in the past, students will now complete a Gold Transcript Release Form for every college they are applying to. Transcript and Counselor recommendation letter will not be processed without completing this form. Below you will find step-by-step directions for how and when to request transcripts and letters of recommendations. Guidance Counselors will be reviewing this process with seniors in small group meetings this fall. Students are also encouraged to meet with their Guidance Counselor for any additional questions or concerns.
TRANSCRIPT RELEASE FORM STEP-BY-STEP DIRECTIONS
- Students must create a Common Application account, complete the FERPA and match their Common Application to their Naviance account. Please click here for detailed instructions to complete this process.
- Student has identified the colleges he/she will be applying to and adds these schools to “Colleges I’m Applying To” in Naviance by completing the following steps:
→ Naviance Family Connection home screen and Click on “Colleges” tab
→ Click on “Colleges I’m Applying To”
→ Click on “+Add Colleges to This List”
→Enter the Colleges, Application Types, and whether you’ve submitted your applications yet
→ Click on “Add Colleges”
→ Student will identify method of applying (Common App, Directly to Institution, Coalition App, etc.) and click “Update Applications”
- Student completes a Gold Transcript Release Form for EVERY COLLEGE he or she is applying to and submits directly to his or her Guidance Counselor at least 10 school days prior to the application deadline. Transcript and Counselor recommendation letter will not be processed without completing this form. Forms are available in each team office and the Guidance Center (first floor of main building). Upon receiving Transcript Release Forms, Counselors will assure that the student has accomplished each necessary task.
- Students are not required to submit all of their Transcript Release Forms at once.
- Students are encouraged, but not required to submit their applications to their colleges before submitting their Transcript Release Forms to their Counselor
- Counselors will submit all appropriate documents to the college(s) within 10 school days from receipt of the Transcript Release Form.
Naviance – All students must know their username and password, as they will be using this tool throughout the college application process. If you have forgotten, or do not have your username/password, please see your Guidance Counselor to reset your account.
Teacher Letters of Recommendation – Once a student has requested a letter from his or her teacher/s he or she must add teacher/s in Naviance by doing the following:
- → Naviance Family Connection home screen and Click on “Colleges” tab
- → Click on “Colleges I’m Applying To”
→ Click on “Letters of Recommendation”
→Click on “Add Request”
→ Click on “Save”
Note – If a student applies to more colleges at a later date he or she will have to complete this process again for those colleges.
Standardized Test Scores – Students are responsible for submitting SAT and/or ACT test scores to the colleges they are applying to through the College Board and/or ACT. Montclair High School will not be submitting scores on behalf of students.
If you have questions or inquiries about topics surrounding college & career, please do not hesitate to contact your guidance counselor by e-mail or phone.
College and career resources
- College Application Season: The Pressure’s On, by Patricia Dalton
- Time Out or Burn Out for the Next Generation, by William Fitzsimmons, Marlyn McGrath Lewis, and Charles Ducey
- The Goodbye Year, Toni Piccinini
- The National Association for College Admissions Counseling website