Schedule Change Request Guidelines
Montclair High School student schedules are available in the Genesis Portal. If you have another student in the district, you will receive a separate email when those schedules become available. Your ability to see any information, including your child's schedule, will be blocked until all required forms and documents are completed by both you and your child(ren) in the Parent Portal. Please contact ParentAccess@montclair.k12.nj.us if you have any issues with your account.
The MHS scheduling process began in January, 2018. High School students and parents were able to make adjustments to course requests through March 29, 2018. All parents were then asked to verify and/or make changes to their students’ requests via the Parent Portal from May 15th - May 25th.
Parents and students are now advised to review the schedules closely. Beginning Monday, August 20th, the Guidance Department will be working to address schedule concerns. Only schedules with errors or omissions will be addressed from Monday, August 20th - Thursday, September 20th. Students must submit a signed Schedule Change Form directly to their Counselor or Team Office Secretary. For the remainder of the summer, forms must be submitted to the Main Office in the Main Building. Once completed, all schedule changes will be reflected in Genesis. Counselors will contact parents and/or students if they are unable to grant the requested change. Schedule Change Forms are available in the Team Offices and Guidance Center. Below are some examples of errors and omissions:
- Missing Lunch
- Missing PE
- Missing Academic Class
- Scheduled a Study Hall Despite Choosing Electives
Counselors will begin processing all other schedule change requests on Friday, September 21st. Students must submit a signed Schedule Change Form for these requests to their Counselor or Team Office Secretary from Monday, September 17th - Thursday, September 27th.
No schedule changes will occur after September 27th for full-year or 1st semester courses.
- Room numbers, locker placements, and teacher assignments are subject to change between now and the first day of school
- Students requesting a level change for courses not originally recommended require an Override Form which can be found on our Guidance Webpage under “Forms and Presentations.”
- Please do not leave forms in mailboxes.
- Health and Driver’s Ed will be added to student schedules before the first day of school
- Students in CSJ and CGI will contract for their academic levels in September with their teacher. Level adjustments to student schedules will be made at that time.
- Contracting in elective classes will also occur in September.
- Changes to special education courses may require a change to the student’s IEP. Counselors will consult with parents and case managers before changes are made.