About Our District
- An award-winning magnet system with elementary and middle schools identified by the themes global studies, science & technology, creating connections, Montessori, university, STEM, environmental science, and gifted & talented.
- Academically challenging high school with a diverse curriculum, more than 25 AP classes, small learning communities (the Civics and Government Institute, Center for Social Justice and STEM); and visual art and performance options in the School of Visual and Performing Arts (SVPA)
- Ninety percent of 2016 graduates matriculated at post-secondary institutions of higher learning, including at Ivy League universities and dozens at highly competitive schools.
- Multiple world language offerings, including Spanish, French and Mandarin (K-12), as well as German, Italian, Latin (high school); Montclair High School language students typically earn top honors in competitions and on national exams.
Sixty percent of the district’s instructional staff hold advanced degrees in teaching and/or their subject area.
MHS offers more than 100 clubs, including community service, salsa dancing, bridge, Ultimate Frisbee, robotics, and literary magazine.
- SVPA stages three productions per year, including Showcase, a student-run production, and the spring musical (e.g. “In the Heights,” 2014)
- Euro Challenge, Fed Challenge, Model UN, and Model Congress teams typically achieve top finishes in national competitions; Mock Trial team consistently competes at regional, state, and national levels; Math League team ranked in the top 20 of New Jersey high schools.
- The district supports more than 30 varsity sports, including soccer, football, basketball, baseball/softball, track, tennis, lacrosse, gymnastics, swimming, crew, fencing and golf.
In 2015-16, athletes earned State-level titles in Field Hockey, Girls’ Soccer, Fencing, and Swimming; County Titles in Girls’ Soccer, Cross Country, Golf; and conference/division titles in Cross Country, Girls’ Soccer, Bowling (girls), and Ice Hockey. Additionally, several coaches were awarded coach of the year honors at the conference and county levels. Typically a dozen or more athletes are recruited annually to Division 1 and 3 colleges and universities.
- Glenfield, Hillside and Montclair High School named Model Schools for the Arts by the New Jersey Arts Education Partnership.
- Montclair Fund for Educational Excellence (MFEE), the district’s local education fund, annually awards over $200 thousand to the Montclair Public Schools through: teacher-initiated classroom grants, social and emotional learning projects, professional development experiences, and district-wide initiatives. Recent innovative projects include non-traditional seating options and focus tools to improve student learning in the elementary schools, hands-on science equipment for all three middle schools, and a state-of-the-art Media Center at MHS.
Newsweek recognition as one of the top 1,000 schools in the nation. US Department of Education distinction as one of six exemplary magnet school programs in the nation.
Charles H. Bullock School joins a group of 59 schools that are the first-ever to achieve the Sustainable Jersey for Schools certification (2015)